Scientist / Senior Scientist Discovery Biology – South San Francisco or Boston
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Scientist / Senior Scientist Disease Biology to join our newly forming Disease Biology team. The successful candidate will play a leading role in in vitro and in vivo evaluation of drug mechanism of action and pharmacology driving projects from target validation to clinical proof of concept.
The Disease Biology scientist is a key contributor to Frontier Medicines’ success and will be interacting with senior leaders including the CEO routinely. This is an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
At Frontier Medicines, we are focused on the discovery of new medicines to treat cancers and other serious disorders leveraging our evolving internal chemoproteomics pipeline. The position will report to the Head of Disease Biology and is located in either South San Francisco or Boston.
- Design, execute, and analyze key biological experimental strategies to define drug mechanism of action, develop novel disease models and biomarkers for target engagement and patient selection with a high level of independence and creativity.
- Lead and contribute to target selection and target validation to ensure the development of a robust preclinical pipeline of valuable drug discovery programs.
- Contribute to project teams and the preclinical development of lead assets to achieve project deliverables.
- Effectively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders; create and present research updates and provide strategic input to team/company meetings.
- Coordinate with external contract research organizations and with other collaborators, as needed.
- Maintain a clear, detailed laboratory notebook to document all experiments and findings.
- Comply with best laboratory safety practices.
- Ph.D. in a biological science (biochemistry, molecular biology, cellular biology, bioengineering, or related discipline), with at least 4 years of relevant post-graduate and pharma/biotech experience.
- Experience in cancer biology, working in oncology drug discovery project teams, cancer cell-based assay design, assay development and drug testing.
- Experience with mammalian tumor cell engineering and associated techniques including CRISPR and siRNA/shRNA knockdown.
- Experience with cellular and biochemical techniques, including FACS, ELISA, immuno-blotting, and immunofluorescence/histochemistry.
- Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to learn new skills.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishments and publications in biology.
- Ability to work with and manage multifunction teams.
- Ability to work with independence and drive in a startup environment.
- A commitment to excellence, including ensuring that fellow team members focus on high quality science and a professional working environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.