Scientific Software Engineer - Boston
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently have been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a talented, experienced, and self-driven software engineer to develop software solutions to support critical activities at Frontier, enabling quick data-driven decision making. This can include data analysis tools, algorithms, and pipelines to extract, transform, and analyze Frontier’s proprietary data and end-user applications for information dissemination and data visualization. Working very closely with data scientists and lab-based scientists in a multidisciplinary environment, the successful candidate will participate and lead in strategic discussions about future investments and development in data science and influence the design and architecture of Frontier’s machine learning infrastructure.
Frontier Medicines offers a dynamic environment with the opportunity to impact the lives of patients while conducting cutting-edge science. There are short communication lines across the company, and we encourage and support the professional development of our team members. This individual will play an essential role as a key team member working with data scientists and research scientists to harness the full potential from our unique data allowing us to reshape small molecule drug discovery with room to expand responsibility as the company grows.
- Work closely with data scientists to convert the proof-of-concept data analysis workflows or algorithms to production-quality applications.
- Prototype proof of concept data solutions, visualizations, and web apps to enable beta testing of algorithms and data workflows
- Contribute to designing, implementing, and maintaining Frontier’s machine learning platform and data pipeline
- Design, implement, document, and maintain software systems, applications, and workflows that support the collection, storage, management, analysis, integration and visualization of various data in small molecule drug discovery research.
- Support and enhance Frontier’s on-premise and cloud software development and scientific computing environment.
- Be a self-driven team member of the software engineering group interacting with data sciences and the broader R&D community at Frontier
- BS degree in computer science, software engineering, cheminformatics, bioinformatics, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated proficiency in python, with knowledge of at least one Python web framework such as Flask, Django, FastAPI, etc.
- Experience with deploying and maintaining machine learning models and services in production at scale is preferred.
- Experience developing web applications
- Working knowledge in cloud-based environments (AWS) and containerization (Docker) is preferred.
- Ability to work with independence and drive in a startup environment.
- Experience in drug discovery research organizations is highly preferred but not required.