Scientist, Biochemistry – South San Francisco
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Scientist I to join our Discovery Biology team. The successful candidate will play a role in performing in vitro biochemical assays to drive drug discovery projects. This individual will work closely with an experienced team of interdisciplinary scientists and have regular opportunities to represent the Discovery Biology group on project teams and interact with the senior management.
This is an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments. At Frontier Medicines, we are focused on the discovery of new medicines to treat cancers and other serious disorders leveraging our evolving internal chemoproteomics pipeline. The position is located in South San Francisco.
- Design and execute optimized, validated biochemical assays in support of drug discovery efforts with a high level of independence and creativity.
- Contribute to hit finding, lead generation and optimization strategies to progress Frontier’s drug discovery pipeline to deliver high quality drug candidates by carrying out primary screens and performing mechanism of action studies.
- Analyze and interpret data with rigor and independence.
- Effectively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders; create and present research updates at project team meetings and other settings.
- Maintain awareness of developments in the field and help implement novel technologies for enhanced workflows and/or improved data quality.
- Work collaboratively with team members across functions.
- Maintain a clear, detailed laboratory notebook to document all experiments and findings.
- Comply with best laboratory safety practices.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Enzymology or a related discipline, or B.S with at least 8 years or M.S. with at least 4 years of relevant academic/industrial experience.
- Experience in developing and optimizing solution-based biochemical assays (e.g., AlphaScreen, TR-FRET, luminescence, fluorescence polarization, fluorescence, absorbance) is required.
- Experience with biophysical or structural characterization of biomolecular interactions is a plus.
- Well-versed in fundamental principles for kinetic and thermodynamic characterization of molecular interactions.
- Skilled in quantitative analysis of experimental results.
- Experience with laboratory instrumentation and automation for medium throughput compound screening.
- Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to learn new skills.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishments and publications in Biochemistry.
- The candidate should be driven, have experience working in a cross-disciplinary team and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- A commitment to excellence, focus on high quality science and a professional working environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.