Scientist / Senior Scientist, Computational Chemistry – South San Francisco or Boston
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Scientist / Senior Scientist, Computational Chemistry. The successful candidate will play a leading role in developing medicinal chemistry optimization strategies for our most important drug discovery campaigns. He/she will be reviewing experimental results and develop SAR hypotheses for activity, selectivity and properties and make suggestions to improve the profiles of our leading small molecule drug candidates. As a covalent drug discovery focused company, there is the opportunity for method development for this evolving field besides using the full arsenal of existing ligand- and structure based methods and insights from unbiased machine learning type algorithms.
This role is key to Frontier Medicines’ success and an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments, and routine interactions with senior leaders. The position will report to the Head of CADD and can be located in South San Francisco or Boston.
- Design, execute, and analyze computational chemistry experiments utilizing ligand based and structure based drug design strategies.
- Be a valuable partner for the medicinal chemist communty with expert knowledge about our small molecule lead series including SAR, properties, selectivity patterns, etc.
- Be curious, innovation driven, and willing to test out hypotheses and embark on novel method development.
- Stay on top of latest developments in the field of computer aided drug design (CADD) and lead the internalization of promising approaches.
- Communicate results, hypotheses and suggestions in a clear manner in written and oral form.
- Ph.D. in a computational chemistry or related discipline with 1+ years of relevant experience in a biotech or pharma setting required.
- Expert level experience with one or more computational chemistry suites (MOE, Maestro, OpenEye) is required.
- Experience applying small molecule modeling to protein binding is required.
- Experience with quantum mechanics techniques and approaches is a plus.
- Expert knowledge with scripting languages (e.g. Python) is required.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills are required.
- Ability to work with independence and drive in a startup environment.
- A commitment to excellence, including ensuring that fellow team members focus on high quality science and a professional working environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.