Sr. Scientist/Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry - Boston
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking several highly motivated individual, based on experience, to fill the position of Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist Medicinal Chemistry, to join our medicinal chemistry team in Boston. This person will play a key role tackling challenging disease targets applying a variety of small molecule strategies including covalent inhibitor drug discovery and the application of a novel protein degrader technology. The team is focused on the discovery of new medicines to treat cancers and other serious disorders. The successful candidate will drive the design and synthesis of lead compounds, apply a high understanding of medicinal chemistry, contribute to the management of external chemistry activities, and bring practical leading-edge methods and synthetic tactics to Frontier Medicines discovery programs.
- Apply organic and medicinal chemistry skills in the design and synthesis of novel small molecules as potential drug candidates.
- Provide valuable laboratory contributions that impact discovery project(s) through route-scouting activities leading to the efficient synthesis of high-priority target molecules and/or solving critical synthetic challenges.
- Closely follow emerging results of biological testing, ADME characterization, and other lead profiling assays; proactively propose new strategies and new target molecules to improve key drug attributes.
- May lead, mentor, develop, motivate, and inspire a team of reporting scientists to create a collaborative, lab-based culture
- Proactively help manage external chemistry efforts, providing synthetic expertise in a collaborative fashion.
- Regularly summarize results and provide progress updates to the chemistry and cross-functional project teams.
- Develop to a Chemistry Team Lead or Project Team Lead for the target pipeline leading a matrixed-based team to selection of a development candidate
- Contribute to the writing of patent applications, study reports, and scientific publications.
- Ph.D. in organic or medicinal chemistry with 5+ years of relevant experience in a biotech or pharma setting.
- Extensive working knowledge of modern medicinal chemistry and drug discovery techniques (e.g., fragment and structure-based drug design, computational chemistry, multi-parametric optimization of bioactivity/physicochemical/ADME properties).
- Strong background in complex molecule synthesis and/or methods development experience with a wide range of techniques related to multi-step synthesis, purification, and spectroscopic analysis.
- Demonstrated track record of patents and publications in medicinal chemistry.
- Strong drug discovery achievements at individual or team-level of delivering novel agents into clinical development.
- Ability to work with and manage multifunction teams.
- Project leadership experience is desirable.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic; fast learner who can identify the core project challenges and expeditiously change course as required in a fast-paced organization.
- Team player who will be able to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- A commitment to excellence, maintaining detailed records and having superb data organization skills.
- Exceptional oral communication and writing skills.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.